by Stephanie Chambers
As school is about to go back, many people have to travel. Here are some tips that might help make it a bit easier on your body.
KEEP VATA AT BAY
According to Ayurveda, traveling increases the Vata body type. Vata is already the quality of “movement”, so by traveling you are making it worse. This can cause your skin to feel dry and for you to get what I call a “travel tummy” where you end up spending far too much time in the bathroom.
To reduce Vata while you are traveling, try as much to stick to a normal routine (e.g. go to bed on time) and eat warm oily foods. Listen to calming music and to rest whenever you can. You may like to put a Vata tea bag in the bottle of water you buy once you are in the actual airport. If you can, giving yourself an oil massage with Calming & Regenerating Body Oil each morning will help.
Diffusing whichever of the following essential oils appeals to you (e.g. in your car as you drive back), can help:
- Lavender Essential Oil (good for first aid and for a variety of issues)
- Fennel Essential Oil, Anise Essential Oil or Caraway Essential Oil
- Ginger Essential Oil (a drop on the tongue is good for travel sickness but be very careful – it is a very heating, sharp oil)
- Jasmine Essential Oil (good for the heart and helps make your travels blissful)
- Rosemary Essential Oil (prepares you for action).
You may be interested to know that Amrita has a new car Dashboard Diffuser. And our Ceramic Angel Car Diffuser is also still available. The Amrita Ball Diffuser is small enough to take with you so you can even diffuse in your hotel rooms at night.
If you have any trouble sleeping (which often happens in strange beds), follow the tips on our Essential Oils For Sleep And Insomnia page.
BOOST YOUR IMMUNITY
Because traveling is so hard on the physiology, it can be a time when you are more susceptible to germs and other pathogens. To boost your immunity, try these solutions:
- Diffuse Invincible Immunity Synergy - which contains Bay Laurel, Eucalyptus Radiata, Oregano, Tea Tree, Thyme Borneol, Red Thyme and Thyme Thujanol Essential Oils
- Diffuse Sweet Restoration Synergy - which contains Rosemary, Lavender Extra and Sweet Lavandin Essential Oils)
- Take Golden Shield Tri-Essence PowerBlend.
RECOVER FROM JET LAG & TRAVEL TIREDNESS
Jet lag can cause fatigue, headaches, insomnia and make it hard for you to recover from your trip and to go back to work or school.
Take a 3oz mist bottle, and add pure water and a few drops of whichever essential oils appeal to you from the list below to create a blend. Ideally create a blend to use each morning and another to use each evening as this will help you to reset your internal clock.
Shake it well and then spray it on your face, body or around the room and take deep inhales. Avoid spraying into your eyes.
REMEMBER TO ENJOY IT
Travel time is part of your vacation. So bring a good audio book or some classical music on your phone, relax and savor your journey!
Disclaimer: The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). They are not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. If a condition persists, please contact your physician or healthcare provider. The information provided is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a healthcare provider, and should not be construed as medical advice.
Original Published: 2015-08-19 / Last Modified: 2021-10-11