Product Spotlight: Cajuput
Mar 10th 2023
Posted by Dr. Christoph Streicher and Chase F.
The powers of Mother Nature never cease to amaze! Not only does she seem to have a natural remedy available for every single human ailment, but in actuality, a diverse range of remedies for each. Take Cajuput Oil as an example: Cajuput belongs to the Tea Tree family of essential oils, which also contains Eucalyptus and Ravintsara. Not only are the internal qualities of Cajuput wonderful, but also the external; Its aesthetic beauty is widely regarded as wonderfully decorative, as well as inspirational in many works of art. Let’s take a closer look into the miracles of Cajuput!
What is Cajuput? How is it Different from Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, and Cajuputum?
Cajuput has been used since ancient times and was introduced to the Western world in the 17th century when it was discovered in the Dutch territory of the Moluccas. Scientifically named Melaleuca Cajuputi, it is also referred to as Cajeput, Swamp Tea Tree, White Tea Tree, and Melaleuca Minor.
Cajuput has a wide variety of uses and is considered relatively safer for children than its relatives with its mild potency and non-toxic/non-sensitizing qualities when utilized properly. As previously mentioned, the main active ingredient in the extracted oil is 1.8 Cineol. Cajuput is between Eucalyptus and Tea Tree when it comes to the amount of 1.8 Cineol, which is why it is more suitable for several people.
When it comes to functionality, this plant is certainly no slouch! The compounds extracted from the plant have been commonly regarded as therapeutical for a wide range of skin, muscle, joint, respiratory issues.* The bark and wood has also proven to be quite essential for many applications such as hut building, underground oven lining, canoe making, and insulation of cold storage rooms due to its extraordinary resistance to mildew. Cajuput has also been used in culinary applications, such as baked goods, flavoring for candy, condiments, relishes, and as a base for tea. However, it should not be confused with cajuputum, a different edible compound often consumed in pellet form.
What are the Therapeutic Benefits of using Cajuput?
Cajuput Essential Oil has a diverse range of uses, which have been widely regarded since ancient times. Users have noted its ability to energize mind, body, and spirit. It has been utilized to promote a healthy respiratory system and alleviate symptoms associated with nasal congestion, flus, colds, and coughs when diffused and inhaled.* The aroma which it provides is often described as camphorous, sweet, sharp, fresh, and slightly fruity.
When applied topically or through whole body massage, benefits have been perceived toward musculoskeletal ailments, including a diverse range of symptoms associated with joint pain, as well as aching muscles.* Users also report alleviation of symptoms associated with poor circulation and even headaches.*
One of the most popular applications for Cajuput would be as an aid in soothing skin ailments such as cuts, scrapes, and bug bites when used topically. It has natural antiseptic qualities and can also assist with deterring bug bites before they even happen. All in all, this essential oil has revealed itself over time to hold a vital place in one’s healthcare toolkit.
How would one use Cajuput?
Unsurprisingly, this diverse essential oil has multiple methods of application ranging from topical to diffusion and inhalation. Here are some specific ways which Cajuput Oil can be used.
- Overall Topical Application: 2-3% Dilution
- Cajuput Oil can be diluted with any carrier oil and applied topically to relieve issues associated with musculoskeletal, integumentary, and respiratory conditions. After properly diluting, apply to affected areas where relief is sought: throat for coughs, colds, or sore throat; chest for congestion; or other areas on the body for muscle aches/pains, joint aches/pains, skin cuts or abrasions, or bug bites.* The user should avoid direct contact with the mucous membranes to prevent inflammation or injury.* Dilution for this application should be 2-3% in any carrier oil (10-15 drops per tablespoon of carrier oil).
- Whole Body Massage: 1-2% Dilution
- As part of a relaxing massage compound, this oil can also be added to your normal routine by diluting Cajuput in any carrier oil. It can reinforce healthy respiratory function and provide comfort for aching muscles and joints. Also, make sure to note how effective it can be in energizing your mind, body, and spirit throughout your day-to-day experience. Dilution for this application should be 1-2% in Jojoba or Hazelnut Carrier Oil (5-10 drops per tablespoon of carrier oil).*
- Diffusion / Inhalation Application: add a few drops to a Nebulizer or Nasal Inhaler
- For a truly focused application towards respiratory health, as well as an overall aid for invigoration, Cajuput Oil can also be diffused and inhaled when used sparingly. Add a few drops to your trusted nebulizer or inhaler to alleviate sore throat, nasal congestion, or other symptoms associated with colds/coughs.
- Give your body the extra oomph necessary to knock out the restrictive clutter which may be clogging up your head and dragging you down by using Cajuput with this application. Remember to avoid direct contact between the oil and mucous membranes. The delightful essence of Cajuput Oil is truly a gift from Mother Nature and should not be overlooked!
What would blend well with Cajuput?
The sharp, sweet, fresh, and fruity aroma of Cajuput Oil can be hard to pair with, but rest assured the Amrita experts know just how to make it easier for you. When making the “perfect” blend, you need to assess what your intentions are first. If you are looking for an uplifting blend with Cajuput, then look to add Clove Bud and Sweet Orange.* If you are looking for an easy blend to open your senses, then you could blend Cajuput with Peppermint, Spearmint, and Eucalyptus to create a punch-packing combo.*
Here are some DIY recipes for you to try in your inhaler or nebulizer:
The uses of Cajuput are extraordinarily diverse and have been regarded throughout the ages. In this modern era of irresponsible chemical concoctions, with seemingly endless side effects and environmental harms associated with them, it is extremely refreshing to have ancient, time-tested, natural compounds provided by the nurturing ingredients of earth’s bounty to turn to instead. Add Cajuput Essential Oil to your list of must-haves today!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.